Wednesday, June 25, 2008

working out: NC fires and BOSU balls

So I'm training for the VA Beach 1/2 Marathon in August.  This will be my 4th and I'm excited to make it a good one.  I'm actually making the time to train... the right way.  Running 3 days a week with weight workouts in between.  For the most part, anyway.

Smoke from wildfires lingering over VA Beach.  courtesy Virginia Pilot.

Today didn't quite go as planned.  I ran my usual mile with Jim's dad and planned to finish with 4 more miles.  But into my second mile the smoke from the NC fires in the south started to blow our way so I decided to head to the gym and finish up on an elliptical, or maybe the stair-stepper if I was feeling crazy.  When I got there I realized I had made it in time for a new class I wanted to try.  BOSU Fusion. Perfect.


I decided on this class because "the ball" (and I assume you all know what I mean when I refer to the ball half the size of your body that just taunts you to fall off of it at every balance-challenging move) turns Karen the Moderate Klutz into the full-blown version.  The BOSU ball is like half of that.  So it shouldn't be hard, right?

Well, I think I hurt my back.  Nothing that a few Advil can't fix.  But it hurts nonetheless.  This evening I swam some laps at a neighbor's pool thinking that would work out the kink.  Nope.  Maybe I'll have better luck after a good night's rest.

8 comments:

Erin said...

hello - where have i been? you've been regularly running, what - 13 or so miles??? and you've done it 4 times? detail, please!!

Megan said...

I hope the back injury doesn't throw off your training too much. I miss running - hopefully I'll get out of my excercise funk and get back into it. I'm slightly jealous of having time to run and go to the gym - I wish we had something affordable around here!

Anonymous said...

ok that butt thing looks so complicated. def not for me!!

i think it is so swesome that you do these 1/2 marathons...your my inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Me again.... just wanted to let you know I've tagged you in a meme. Feel the love!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hope your back feels better soon! I shredded my left foot and right knee working out recently, so I'm feeling some pain too! :)

P.S. This is Life At The Circus' sister in law! You need to friend me on facebook, girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, keep this up and I will have to be much more regular in my walking (Ok, meandering.)
Love Ya!!

Megan said...

I tagged you...

Unknown said...

Hi Stella!!! So glad to find you online with my other blogging family members. I have The Bean! I liked it until it sprung a leak, but it has a lifetime warranty so I am awaiting a new one from CA. But I have taken many a topple on it also.
My brother and sister in law live in VA and he has been bothered buy the smoke also. Hope it clears soon.