Friday, April 24, 2009

grublet needs his toys

First, I would like to add a disclaimer to this post. I do not like the idea of registering. I struggled with it 5 years ago when we got married. I struggle with it now. It's like telling people how much they should spend on EXACTLY what you want. There's little room for creativity. And there's a pressure that if you register for something too expensive, people will think you're spoiled and expect too much. So they might decide not to come to your wedding. Or like your kid... It's all very stressful, really.

Secondly, in an effort to use other people's money wisely, I spent hours and hours researching the best, safest, etc. baby products to get for our little Grublet. I even told Jim as we walked into Babies R Us that we will not be going about this willy-nilly like we did our wedding registry. This time we have a plan and we can't just ask for things that are pretty and might look good in a nursery.

Thirdly, Jim did not apparently hear me and when the nice lady at the counter gave him the gun, he was off. Like lightening.

So the story goes....

I don't know if it's the infrared gun-thingy, or if Jim just likes to pretend he's spending other people's money. But Jim LOVES to "register". I'm almost sad that this is probably the last time he gets to do this. He's never getting married again. (pause, for effect) And by our next kid, we'll have what we need for the most part. So, really this was a monumental moment for him. But I don't think he realized it. He was knee-deep in toys by this point.

Speaking of, do you like the Slip 'n Slide that our kid apparently needs? In his defense, Jim did not go about this almost-purchase thoughtlessly as you might expect. There was great consideration involved in this decision. Because at Target, there are like 7 to choose from. And with gun poised, he stood there thinking out loud...
Jim: We totally need one of these.
Karen: We do?.... or our kid does?
Jim: Our kid will love it!
Karen: But he won't be able to use it until he's 5, apparently.
Jim: No, I can hold him.
Karen: rolling eyes
Jim: But which one... I like this one. It's got a cool arch thingy. I even think it spits water out at you.
Karen: rolling eyes
Jim: Oh, but I don't know if I'll fit through it.
Karen: Again, this is for the kid...
Jim: But the other ones look boring. I really think he's going to want the archy one.
Karen: Just don't get the super-expensive one.
Jim: Yeah, he needs the archy one. And it's only $30 bucks! Someone will totally buy this for us.
That may not be exactly how the conversation went, but it's pretty close. And, except for toys, Jim was very respectful of all my research. He did get a little bored when I had to flip through my typed-out notes to remember what brand of breast pump that we wanted. But he was a trooper. And waited patiently until I pointed to a box and he got to shoot the gun again.

So that's the gist of how it went. Jim was very excited. We had very few arguements about "but this one's safer"/"but this one looks more manly". And in the end I think we did alright.

Besides, our newborn, who is negative three and a half months is totally going to love his Slip 'n Slide. Which will go perfectly with his 3D Star Wars Kite.

Next up: Nursery themes. Help!

4 comments:

LifeAtTheCircus said...

What newborn doesn't need a slip n slide? Especially in El Paso where it will be 114 when he makes his entry into the world. :-)

Rach said...

I looked at your registry before I posted this comment. And now I'm laughing and am not sure what to actually type.

Angela said...

Love the post. Don't stress so much over the registry. People want to buy you what you need/want, really. And if they don't they cal always buy cute clothes, instead. Wish we could have been there with you to register - Dan HATES BabiesRUS, he calls it $100RUS.

Anonymous said...

I saw that Schleich blue and gold Knight on your registry (those are what we used for our caketoppers), and it made me smile. We have the Schleich Nativity set, as well. Just wanted to let you know I approve of your choice for german action figures. Way to support the motherland.